Tax notice from 2015

jakeNrake

Hi everyone, hope this is the right place to ask this.

I got a 1040 notice from the IRS saying that I owe them 4000$ from 2015. I thought I took care of everything from that year, but I am afraid they will take action if I don't pay them.

My questions is
1. If I only got a notice about 2015, does that mean I don't owe anything for other years?
2. How can I see what the original amount of the payment is supposed to be?
3. Can I setup a payment plan that includes my other years as well?

I am so confused and scared, don't want to get my assets frozen.

Can someone please help me??????

hannah

Administrator
Staff member
Hi everyone, hope this is the right place to ask this.

I got a 1040 notice from the IRS saying that I owe them 4000$ from 2015. I thought I took care of everything from that year, but I am afraid they will take action if I don't pay them.

My questions is
1. If I only got a notice about 2015, does that mean I don't owe anything for other years?
2. How can I see what the original amount of the payment is supposed to be?
3. Can I setup a payment plan that includes my other years as well?

I am so confused and scared, don't want to get my assets frozen.

Can someone please help me??????
Hi, Jake! Welcome. You are definitely in the right place :) I think our company director @rajneet would know the answer to this question!

rajneet

Company Director, EA
Staff member
@jakeNrake

1. Generally, if you owe for other years, you should get a notice for each year. However, it's in your best interest to double-check by contacting the IRS to confirm if you have other balances owed. Here is a link to find the IRS office closest to you.

2. You can request an Account Transcript from the IRS which will have the original balance as well as interest and penalties.

3. Yes, you can set up a payment plan with the IRS for 2015 and other years as well. Keep in mind, if the balance due is over $10,000, it is recommended to seek the help of tax professional.

Hopefully this helps, but if you have more questions feel free to post them here or contact us directly.

jakeNrake

Thanks for the information it was very helpful.

You said that if the balance is over 10k I should seek help, does the IRS take more aggressive actions against people who owe larger sums? Or is it like a raffle where you get unlucky?

rajneet

Company Director, EA
Staff member
Thanks for the information it was very helpful.

You said that if the balance is over 10k I should seek help, does the IRS take more aggressive actions against people who owe larger sums? Or is it like a raffle where you get unlucky?
You're welcome. To answer your question, the IRS generally treats most cases equally but with a balance over $10,000 your odds of successfully handling the situation alone are slim. Tax professionals can easily determine the best solution for your situation.

If you need more help figuring out the next step, feel free to contact my firm at (855) 605-1500 (first consultation FREE ;))

jakeNrake

You're welcome. To answer your question, the IRS generally treats most cases equally but with a balance over $10,000 your odds of successfully handling the situation alone are slim. Tax professionals can easily determine the best solution for your situation.

If you need more help figuring out the next step, feel free to contact my firm at (855) 605-1500 (first consultation FREE ;))
Thanks I will reach out to you guys if I have any more questions.

TaxTest123

I think everyone here is correct, you MAY owe other years.

But chances are they are back-logged so far behind years n years that the only negative items they discovered in your case is the 4k.

My non-professional noob recommendation and steps you should take are the following:
1. Hire a professional to do this work if you don't want to go through a million headaches (doesn't have to be expensive). Just takes your signature and SSN# to get started and no money.​
2. Have someone authorized with IRS backend access like Lifebacktax or H&R Block to pull all years and files they have on you so you can find out what they potentially missed.​
3. Confirm they don't actually OWE YOU money. Let's just say I've seen treasury refund checks for 6 years of "forgotten" employer withholdings where the IRS owes the individual over 10k while they are asking for 875$ for something that never even happened, and he supposedly owes them.​

Best of luck to you Jake and hope life works out without the IRS defining who you are every day..., thanks and good luck, Mr Test